Sunday, August 3, 2014
Summer Lovin...happened too fast.
Well here we are on the night before Peyla returns to pre-school. Where did the summer go? I remember her last day of the year in May, picking her up and celebrating with an ice cream social at her little school. Ali was so excited to be back together with her best buddy and I was thrilled at the prospect of a long summer with my girls. But where did it all go?? I spent this weekend in a bit of a bittersweet haze...knowing that Peyla would away again during the week. I know it sounds silly...it's not like it's college or boarding school! I still get to keep her in the afternoons and on Fridays. But I know our time at home together is likely drawing to close as Kindergarten looms next year, Ali will be ready for pre-school (heck, she's ready NOW!) and my career outside of the home awaits. So perhaps that is why I'm feeling more nostalgic than usual. I have loved, loved, loved this summer together. Yes, it was/is ridiculously hot outside. But many precious memories were made in these short two months! We camped for the first time and watching my girls interact with nature was incredible. So often we get caught up in the concrete jungle of beige, freeways, and chain malls. We spent two weekends at Grandpa's cabin! Seeing the monsoon rains and familiar pine trees of my youth was comforting and freeing. We tackled swim classes this year! And Ali joined for the first time. We lucked out in finding the girls' swim school and they each flourished after bonding with their "coaches". Ali was in the Level 2 Minnow class that allowed for parent/child interaction in the pool She just wasn't ready to try it on her own yet. What can I say...the girl hates to get her face wet and be away from mommy. Couple them together and you just get flat refusal from Ali. I will always remember her firm, babyish voice telling her coach..."No. I won't do it. No. I don't WANT to." So matter of fact and stubborn. But by the end of the dual sessions, she became more willing to try new things and was so proud of herself! As for Peyla...that girl is a fish. She really hit the ground (pool?) running (swimming?) this year. She started in the Level 3 Frog class and quickly graduated to the Level 4 Seahorse. She's got her sights set on the Barracuda Swim Team! lol. That will take a while. But she's so much more confident in the water (a little TOO confident sometimes) and I think this accomplishment has bolstered her self-esteem. She's my careful girl. Probably a syndrome of being the oldest child and hearing "be careful" about a million times. I'm working on that. I want her to take risks in life and not be afraid to live a little! I can't believe I'm saying this, but I will miss you Summer. Thank you for the lazy mornings with cartoons and cereal. Thank you for the many, many outings with our best friends the Frigard bunch as they also prepare for school. Thank you for the late afternoon swimming, just us three girls in our own backyard. Thank you for the summer storms, as we watched in wonder on the back patio...explaining for the 100th time that thunder cannot actually HURT you. Thank you for the time you knocked out our electricity with a monsoon...it took me back to my own childhood days of candles and flashlights and improvising. Thank you for the ridiculous amount of ice cream, popsicles and cold treats we have consumed this year...for the chance to give the girls their first ice cream cones. The hilarity of taking over the McDonalds with 5 little girls (Dahn/Frigard) and messy cones. For every sweet moment in between. I have loved every long, hot, exhausting day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Amen Sister!
ReplyDeleteI just posted my whole comment and now it has vanished! Well, it went something like this...I loved reading about your summer moments...it made me wish I was there to share some of them with you all...and..isn't swim class crazy?! A roller coaster of bravery and fear and pride and fear again. Why is water on the face such a tragic event!? LOL! I love Ali's firm little "no"! And yeah for brave Peyla! :) Miss you! xoxo
ReplyDelete